Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Act 3 - Nora finally leaves!

After finishing up Act 3 I'm pretty much shocked over the result. I cannot believe Nora actually left Helmer! This is something I would never imagine in a million years especially because of what time period this play was in. Women even today are hesitant of leaving their husband because of how many problems there are to keep their jobs, homes, and actually survive. Then again, I'm so happy she left him because they truly are two opposite people who think and act in two totally different ways. This marriage would have went down hill or would be such a guilt trip for Nora even if this whole controversy never opened itself up.

Also, I can't stand the fact that Helmer didn't do anything to try to make Nora happy those eight years they were together until he found out she was going to leave him. He basically doesn't want her to leave so he doesn't look bad without a wife. So in the end he really doesn't care how she's going to feel, as long as he comes out on top. Haha typical man! Sorry guys. A man will always look bad when his wife leaves him for any reason and I bet he'll make up lies and tell people he left her.

Not to mention at first reading the end of the story made me mad with how so to the point it was. But then as I read the last part when it says the door slams it basically got mind thinking. I felt like that one little line gave off the idea that she was for real and was definently not coming back. I am kind of suprised she left her children but they never were shown in a way that she was truly in love with them or cared for them like a mother should.

When Nora says she needs to go on her own and learn by herself I thought she was being sort of silly. Then as she explained it more I realized she really, REALLY needs to go learn for herself how the real life is and make decisions on her own. I feel like her father and her husband never let her grow on her and make her own mistakes so that made Nora the woman we all know in the play. I guess we'll never know if Nora and Helmer ever find each other again but we can let our imaginations wonder. Overall, I actually suprised myself and really enjoyed this book.

1 comment:

  1. Great evaluation of the failing relationship between Nora and Torvald. I agree alot on your idea of Nora being one in a million compared to women of her time.

    ReplyDelete